Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Art as is..

Lately I have been watching movies on artists .. 'Selena','Frida','Pollock'.
while picking them up and before watching them, I was just wondering how just a name is enough to identify them. No business of 'NoLastName' or any such mishaps.

Anyways, after watching these movies, what caught my attention is how sometimes the movies on artists use actual props. In Selena, towards the end when they show the condolences part and show the actual Selena, the efforts put in keeping the looks and style of Selena in Lopez is so true.

In Frida, all the paintings, now I wont wonder if the originals were shown, but atleast all of them, were her paintings. Talking about the originality of paintings, in 'Pollock', the artist is actually shown doing the painting from the scratch. They had to show it, cause his painting does not use a brush.

This reminds me of a painting competition I took part in with my friend. Trick is no brushes allowed. We were sitting in the lawns. So we used the dried leaves and what not. The topic was Man's invention. Some fundoo thought process led us to draw a wheel in motion and split . This wheel is on a road which splits the background diagonally into two. On one side is green forests and on the other deforestation effects. Well, too class booky I guess. It worked. My Friend and I went home with 500Rs.

That day we were excited about being called on stage to pick the prize. Sadly our name was not called. Reason: That competition of 'no brush' was held for the first time then and the person who made the list didnt seem to know about it.

2 comments:

Maverick said...

hhmmmmm u really watch intelligent films while i still indulge myself in the hollywood extravaganza,n vow i never thot one could paint without a brush, will learn the tricks frm u sometime we meet.

Dusty said...

Of coarse I love the movie Frida, you should check out Basquiat. Good movie.

My real name comes from two very distinct sources, either Hammer of Thor or Fighter of the Field. Each a very turbulent definition which fits me to a tee and my parents were just being hippies when they gave it to me!

When I first started painting, I did it with fire. Take nail polish and drizzle it on boards, the nail polish will burn leaving the wood mostly unharmed. It stinks though.