Saturday, July 21, 2012

Fables and foibles

A while ago I was asking my mom for folk tales. After a week she recalled a camel and fox story. (second in the link). The only change being instead of eating chickens and vegetables, in the story that she read as a child, the duo target a sugarcane field. This version makes the fox more human with its sweet cravings.
Two animals crossing the river reminded me of scorpion and frog story in

. This story, Wilson says is a fable about the dark side of human nature.
A while ago I read 
and always used to wonder how are we to understand humanity through another species. But recently on NPR I heard of observational studies of puffins and then it flashed that when we find some interesting behaviour in another species, we start to look around and explore other birds around. To understand the behaviour, we translate it into our life and know about ourselves as humans.


A review of Wilson's book

No comments: