Sunday, March 04, 2012

America in dictionary

My experiences in US alphabetically:

Aardvark: I have a new found interest in all things animal and plants. I read of it in an encyclopaedia of nature. UCI has an anteater as their mascot. Their teeth seem to be similar to some aquatic animals, regenerated very quickly. Armadillo.

Aborning: Arrival of the baby

Acacia: A plant that connects my childhood and present. Few decades ago, my mom and others used to grind the seeds, add water to it and use it as bindhi. summers. Others : Nerum, Agave.

Acappella: A term I learnt of from a musical friend.

Acorn: We saw a big acorn in a little park in raleigh downtown.

Acorn squash: I should try a recipe sometime.

Acrobatics: Our college took us to an acrobatic show in China.


Acrostic
A -
C
R
O
S
T
I
C

Adobe : My favorite place in the world would be a terrace from where I could watch everything around.
Adobe chicken

Afrikaans : My colleague from S Africa speaks it.

African American: I took a snap with the wax model of Jesse Owens.

Africanized bee: My mom got stung by a dead bee. All those honey bee trucks that get rolled over while travelling to pollinate almond orchards.

Afterbirth: I saw placenta. I learnt from my mom that the word for it in telugu is Maaya.

Aftertaste of Jello and Instant pistachio pudding are bad.

Agave: I see them on walks at the lake. I saw them in India, while walking from my village to the bus stop.

Aged cheese

Ahoy - I am indebted to Chips Ahoy for motivating me during masters study.

Aigrette - While birdwatching, there's always a caveat thrown around if seen picking feathers from the ground.

Aileron - Once my neighbour Paul was explainin about this going on for a long time about a single topic which amazed me. Boys and their toys.

Airbag

Air-port: Only after looking at the split in the dictionary, does the air stand out in the word.

Airsick: After a 3 day, 2 night spent travelling to US, an act in the plane - using the white bag.

A la mode - In a pizzeria menu.

Alarm - The times we set off fire alarm while making paranthas. Then we race to the alarm to wade away the smoke with a cloth.

Albatross - I had read of it in 'The rime of the ancient Mariner' but didnt realise that it had such a wide wing span until the bird books.

Alien - (Sing it!) we are all alines here in Eagles tune sof 'Hotel California'. While at it, I wanted to know what a song ' in the city' was reeling in my head. Its 'California Love' by Tupac.

All American city

Allen wrench - It came with a bicycle and didnt know what it was for a long time.

Allspice

Altimeter - Not the device itself, but being cognizant of heights, while hiking mountains, travelling to and fro from valley, air pockets (air pocket) in ear. Once in California on PCH, why was I surprised that we were at 0 ft with the sea next to us.

No comments: