Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How not to tie a saree

In the now widespread Nivi style, the sari is draped from right to left, passing over the lower body twice- the second time in a cluster of fan-shaped pleats – and the upper body once. – Daniel Miller, Stuff.

The first morning at my in-laws house, I came down the stairs in a saree. In a traditional household, it is not enough to be in a saree, care must be taken to as not show even the hem of the petticoat. With the transparent fabrics that some sarees tend to be, petticoat matching is a must.

My sister-in-law gave out a guffaw when she saw not just the hem but a lot more of the petticoat, as I had skipped the first wrap around. While wearing the saree in the bedroom, my first estimation of the pallu length fell short, in trying to adjust it, I had meddled with the drape at the lower end.

She was relieved when I joined her in the outburst.

No comments: