Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Innocents Abroad

One can never tell what sentence affects a reader.

In Kratchner Caverns Neil Miller included the following from Mark Twains book, The Innocents Abroad:

The memory of a cave I used to know was always in my mind, with its lofty passages, its silence and solitude, its shrouding gloom, its sepulchral echoes, its fleeting lights, and more than all, its sudden revelations.

Only part way into the book, I havent come across this sentence. So I will be on the look out. My pick from his Versailles trip :

The trees in no two avenues are shaped alike, and consequently the eye is not fatigued with anything in the nature of monotonous uniformity.

Next time I have a complaint with the landscape, I will try to see how one rock is different from another. Or make an imaginary one of my own.

No comments: